KCU: Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences is a fully accredited, private university, with Colleges of Biosciences and Osteopathic Medicine. Founded in 1916, its College of Osteopathic Medicine is the oldest medical school in Kansas City, MO., and the largest in the state. Sponsored by Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences and the Deron Cherry Foundation.
The Cliff Hanger Run welcomes contributions of money or in kind donations. Door prizes, give-aways and Award items add greatly to the runner’s enjoyment of the event. We also welcome publicity related services such as sharing on your website or facebook page, printing, signage and web advertisments, to let more people know about this fun race.
Youth Program Sponsor
- Kansas City Track Club’s Cliff Hanger Run provides free entries, running shoes and incentives to kids who would otherwise not have a running opportunity. Each child completes a 6 week training program leading up to Cliff Hanger Run and race day is their celebration. The child you sponsor receives a race shirt, medal, goodie bag and breakfast on race day, and you receive a Cliff Hanger hat. Sponsor a youth runner.
2016 Cliff Hanger Fact Sheet
- Saturday, October 8: 10am 5K and 8K start.
- A 5K and 8K run or walk entirely on Cliff Drive in Kansas City’s historic northeast area.
- Over 900 participants in 2015.
- The race is owned, produced and underwritten by the Kansas City Track Club, www.kctrack.org . 100% of contributions go to charity.
- USATF Certified course.
- Post race awards ceremony and lunch for all runners.
- Primary charity: Northeast Neighbor to Neighbor (NNN), a non-profit foundation that provides financial and other support services to the medically underserved residents of the Historic Northeast neighborhoods of Kansas City, Missouri. NNN provides this support by identifying and creating access to needed health care services, coordinating referrals and providing funding for the services, educating clients regarding their medical needs and available medical services, and assisting clients in navigating the healthcare system.
- KCTC and Neighbor to Neighbor are both 501 (c) 3 non-profit organizations.
Each autumn for 30 years Kansas City runners look forward to a special race on Cliff Drive in the historic Northeast. The first Cliff Hanger took place in 1985, starting at the Concourse on Gladstone Boulevard. Over the years, the 5K and an 8K race has been staged on several courses in the Northeast area including the streets near the Concourse and Cliff Drive. In early years the race ended with a tough uphill at the Kansas City Museum. One of the high points was the years when local restaurants provided post race food at the awards ceremony on the grounds of the Kansas City Museum. The popular Italian Festival was often the same weekend.
The race has always drawn runners and their friends and families from all over the metro KC area, making it a great way to showcase the Museum district and Cliff Drive. The 2008 race was the first in many years to attract more than 700 runners and was a great introduction to the new renovations on Cliff Drive that make the route even more scenic.
Over the years the race has focused on giving back to the Northeast. The race was started as a fundraiser for the Assumption Church pre-school and the UMKC school for the handicapped. Organizations that have benefited from the run include a preschool, food pantries, and the Gladstone Elementary School.
In 2008, Neighbor To Neighbor, became the beneficiary. Northeast Neighbor to Neighbor (NNN) provides financial and other support services to the medically underserved residents of the Historic Northeast neighborhoods of Kansas City, Missouri.
Jerry Morrison, a long time presence in the KC running community was the first race director, and continued until 1996. After Jerry’s tenure the Kansas City Track Club took over the race with Lou Joline another well known Kansas City runner and race director managing the first KCTC race. For the past 18 years the Kansas City Track Club has continued to sponsor the Cliff Hanger Run.
Race Director: firstname.lastname@example.org